There are no formal educational entry requirements for this qualification. However, you must be over 16 years of age, and hold a White Card before you step on to a building and construction site.
As this is a work-based apprenticeship you’ll need to have an employer to undertake your studies with. Builders Academy Australia can help you find, but not guarantee, work placement.
This carpentry course is delivered over 3.5 years full-time.
The assessment process will include written and practical activities, observation in the workplace and individual research supported by workplace mentoring by your supervisor and trainer.
Before starting your carpentry apprenticeship with Builders Academy Australia you or your employer are required to purchase the following:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Suitable steel cap work boots (must be ankle high and meet or exceed Australian Standard AS/NZS2210.3 for Type 1 safety footwear)
- Hi-Vis long sleeve shirt (must meet AS/NZS 4602.1:2011 High-Visibility Safety Garments for Day use only and rated UPF 50+. AS/NZS 4399: 1999 Sun Protective Clothing – Evaluation and Classification)
- Suitable work pants (denim and tracksuit pants are not permitted)
- Safety glasses (must comply with Australian standard AS/NZS 1337.1:2010 for medium impact protection)
- Work gloves (must comply with standard EN 388:3131 and meet Risk Category II: Gloves of Intermediate Design For Intermediate Risk, cleaning gloves are not permitted)
- Hearing protection (must not have a radio included, and must comply with Australia New Zealand standard AS/NZS 1270:2002)
Basic tool kit:
- Bevelled edge chisels – 12mm, 19mm and 25mm
- Combination square
- Claw hammer (either 20 ounce fixing hammer or a 24 ounce framing hammer)
- Pencils – carpenters type
- Utility knives with spare blades
- Two pocket nail bag
- 8m tape (metric only)
- Sliding bevel
- Chisel holder
- Nail punches – 2ml, 3ml and 4ml
- 1m folding ruler (metric only)
- Handsaw (500ml 8PT)
Become a carpenter
Go from carpentry apprenticeship to qualified carpenter! If you decide to further your study, you could gain the skills to work in supervisory roles within the domestic low-rise building and construction industry.